Monday, November 22, 2010

Ideation and Process, Fall 2009

Here are some images of work I did in my Ideation and Process class, during the fall semester of 2009. Projects in this class were pretty open-ended and tended to be more conceptually-based.

The image below is from the "Artist as Curator" project. I scanned various comic strips, took out either the dialogue or characters themselves, printed each strip out, then placed them at different locations around my school with instructions to "fill in the blanks" and turn in to my school mailbox or e-mail them to me. All of the ones turned in to my mailbox were anonymous and most of them were pretty crude (but still funny in their own way). I asked a few friends to fill some in too. This full-page spread includes unaltered comic strips also.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get the image big enough to read all of the comics, I found larger images of it and tried to upload those instead, but they just load at the exactly same size. :/



The following image comes from a project my I & P teacher asked everybody to do on the side. It involved making a space in your apartment or studio to accumulate images you thought were interesting. I didn't always take images I thought were interesting, although that was the reason sometimes. Some of the images I chose because they had some relevance to my daily life, or I thought they would look good pasted up next to something else. Also I tried to make some sort of structure to the thing, and there is kind of a face/figure thing going on, too.



The next two images were from a project where simply the word "language" was our prompt. I had fun cutting out a newspaper article and making three towers out of them. The "debris" at the base of each tower are the actual scraps that were cut out from the pieces above.




These drawings came from a project where we were asked to look at a website called "Learning to Love You More" where two people, for eight years, would come up with new "assignments" on a regular basis for the general public to complete. They asked people who completed the assignments to send in images of their work, too, which they would display on the site. Anyway, I chose an assignment that involved drawing the "daily news"; I picked a story about Ted Kennedy.



This was an assignment where we were asked to observe the lives of others in some way and make a piece of art based on that. I found a craigslist ad where somebody was looking for a "singing bowl" to use for yoga (something I had never heard of before but I looked up images/videos of it and drew from those).



The piece below was done for a project called "Five Obstructions", based on a movie we watched in class. Each student had to impose five obstructions upon themselves in making a piece of art.

No comments: