Thursday, December 2, 2010

Illustration Topics (fall 2010) - Other Projects

Phew - it took a while to compile this post, but here it is - everything else I did in Illustration Topics this past semester (in reverse chronological order).


These images are all from my final project for Topics. I was working with the idea "Invisible Worlds" and looking at the illustrator/author David Macaulay for inspiration. I was working at a pretty high resolution the whole time, so it was a bit slow, but worth it in the end because we were asked to print it out at 30 by 40 inches (I was working around 20 by 30 inches before blowing it up to that size). The final "banner" print looked pretty cool. It was fun taking different textures I had scanned and using them in this piece.


Around the third to last class of the semester, we were asked to create three illustrations during one class period (or at least part of the class period - it was about 3 hours). I came up with three and then one more. The ideas came from a list of prompts that my teacher provided.



These two images are two different versions of an illustration based on a non-fiction book. My teacher gave our class three different excerpts from three different books, and asked us to illustrate one (either the excerpt or other parts of the book if we read it). I chose the excerpt from a book that talked about the Crystal Palace, a structure build to house the "Great Exhibition" of 1851 in Hyde Park, London.





This project involved taking a pair of opposites (from a list provided by our teacher Tom). I initially chose the pair "flora/fauna" and channeled my inner 9-year-old self to come up with some ideas. Then, because I couldn't figure out how to draw the perspective of a deer pooping from the flowers' point of view, I switched to "inside/outside". And the rest....is history. (dramatic moment for no particular reason)

also, I know I posted at least one of the deer pooping images before, but I'm just including it here again because it was part of this project.





This project involved talking to a classmate and choosing from a list of major events in the past 10 years, and then asking what that classmate remembered of the time they first heard of the major event happening. I chose the 9/11 attacks, so my classmate (friend Cameron) talked about his life around the time that 9/11 happened. He said he had a dog, who would follow him into the pine woods around his house when he had to drag dead branches into the forest (as a chore). I only included a hint to 9/11 in the illustration, and it's mostly metaphorical.



This is my "State Fair" illustration. We were asked to visit the Minnesota State Fair and make an illustration based on our impression of it. So, I made one based on the fruit hall, in particular the apple area. Most of it was watercolor and ink, with some adjustments made later in Photoshop. I did a lot of color studies for this one, something that I've started to do more often in the past couple of semesters. My illustration was one of nine chosen (between all those submitted by the two Illustration Topics classes) to be displayed in a gallery on the Star Tribune website. Woo!

No comments: