Sunday, May 22, 2011

Florence, Venice and Paris - sketches and doodles

After my 4.5 months studying abroad in Ireland, my brother Dustin and I spent two weeks traveling in other countries around Europe. Dustin did basically all of the booking and scheduling (thanks again Dustin), and while it was still somewhat stressful at times, overall it was completely worth it and amazing. I didn't do a whole lot of drawing while there, but I did some, and most of those are posted here.




on the page with little faces: the building on the top of the left page was across the square in front of the Duomo, at night, during a crowded festival/concert thing going on. some of the gestural sketches on the right page are from people dancing on the stage at that concert. the little faces were just from my mind, based on a vague impression of people in Florence I had seen that night.


this was near the train station where we first entered Venice.


Paris blind contour sketches - I was sitting in a restaurant and all of these people were in cars or on motorcycles, stopping when the light was red at the intersection outside the window. I was pleasantly surprised at how I captured some of their faces (I'm still fairly new to doing blind contour drawings of faces).

No comments: